How Much Do Tree Surgeons Charge?
Our comprehensive guide will cover all you need to know about tree surgeons pricing. The lowest rate of a tree surgeon in the UK can be £150 for removing a small tree less then 20ft, the price can then go up to £2,000 for removing a large tree over 50 ft. If you’re a property owner or considering tree surgery services, understanding the costs involved is crucial. Tree surgery expenses can vary significantly based on several factors, and in this post, we’ll provide you with all the information you need to make informed decisions about hiring a tree surgeon.
How much to remove a tree?
The average cost to remove a tree can range from £150 to £5,000 or more. However, it’s essential to note that these figures can vary widely based on various factors. One of the primary factors influencing pricing is the size of the tree. Smaller trees typically cost less to work on, while larger trees with greater complexity may incur higher expenses.
A Professional Tree Surgeon will usually charge £300 per day. Tree Surgeons typically work in teams of 2 or 3 depending on how many trees need removing, location of the tree, equipment required etc. This could bring your costs up to £900 per day. This is because a tree surgeon with industry recognised accreditations and certifications will be more equipped and have a better skill set then inexperienced tree surgeons or rogue “cowboy traders” that will quote the lowest prices.
Other variables affecting pricing include your geographical location and the specific services required. Tree surgery costs can also fluctuate seasonally, with higher demand during certain times of the year potentially leading to higher prices.
Tree Removal Prices
|Size Of Tree
|Small Tree Removal (Less than 20ft)
|£150 – £350
|Medium Tree Removal (20ft to 40ft)
|£350 – £750
|Large Tree Removal (40ft to 65ft)
|£750 – £1200
|Extra Large Tree Removal (65ft+)
|£1200 – £2500
How Long Does Tree Removal Take?
Tree removal times vary based on factors like tree size, location, equipment, complexity, and professional expertise. Here are rough estimates:
- Small Trees (up to 6 inches diameter): 1-2 hours.
- Medium Trees (6-24 inches diameter): 2-4 hours.
- Large Trees (over 24 inches diameter): Several hours to a day, especially in challenging locations.
- Complex Trees: Longer due to careful planning and specialized techniques.
- Stump Removal: Adds an hour or more.
- Cleanup: Requires an additional hour or more.
These are rough estimates; actual times may vary. Consult professionals for accurate estimates, prioritizing safety. Hiring experienced experts is crucial, especially for larger or complex trees.
Tree Surgery Factors and Their Costs
Tree felling costs in the UK vary based on factors like tree type, job complexity, access, and location.
- London Premium: In London, expect to pay £30-£80 more per day for labor than in other UK regions.
- Labor Costs: Tree surgeons charge around £150-£200 per day for labor. With additional laborers, the total daily labor cost averages £300-£400.
- Duration: Tree felling times vary; most jobs can be completed in 1-2 days. Larger or complex trees might take up to 5 days.
- Tree Size: Larger trees require more time and labor, leading to higher costs.
- Access Difficulty: Trees in hard-to-reach places demand extra effort and time, increasing overall expenses.
- Job Complexity: Challenging tasks or obstacles like tough roots can extend the job duration, impacting costs.
- Location: London residents pay more for labor compared to other UK regions.
Safety and Professionalism: Tree felling involves risks, so hiring professionals with proper equipment and skills is crucial for safety.
DIY Warning: Attempting tree felling yourself requires confidence, equipment, and safety gear. In doubt, it’s safer to hire professionals.
Regulations: Some trees are protected by preservation orders; consult local councils for permission and advice.
Common UK Trees:
- English Oak: Removal cost: £2500 to £4200.
- Common Beech: Removal cost: around £3000.
- Ash: Removal cost: around £2000.
- Horse Chestnut: Removal cost: varies.
- Sycamore: Removal cost: £700 to £3000.
Large garden trees can shade plants and damage foundations, making their removal a consideration.
Always prioritize safety and consult professionals for tree removal to ensure the safety of your property and family.
Additional Cost Factors
In addition to the main factors mentioned, here are a few more cost considerations:
Emergency Services: If you require immediate tree services after a storm or due to a hazard, expect to pay a premium for emergency response.
Disposal Fees: Disposing of tree debris may incur extra charges, so clarify this with your chosen tree surgeon.
Cleanup: Some tree surgeons include cleanup in their service, while others charge separately. Be sure to discuss this with your potential service providers.
Insurance and Certification: Hiring an insured and certified tree surgeon might be slightly more expensive but ensures professionalism and liability coverage.
Saving Money On Tree Surgery
Here are some tips to help you save money on your tree surgery project:
- Regular Maintenance: Schedule regular tree maintenance to avoid costly emergency situations.
- Group Services: If you have multiple trees that need attention, consider bundling services to save on overall costs.
- Off-Season Work: Ask if tree surgeons offer discounts during their less busy seasons.
- DIY Cleanup: If you’re comfortable with it, handle the cleanup yourself to save on labor costs.
In conclusion, understanding the factors influencing tree surgeon pricing and requesting accurate quotes are essential steps in planning your tree surgery project. By considering these factors and following our tips, you can make informed decisions and ensure you receive quality tree surgery services that fit your budget.